North Carolina: Census 2020 Real-Time Response Rates – Week ending July 19 (.pdf)
View All County-Level Response Rates –
Week ending July 19
Key takeaways for biweekly period ending 7/19
- North Carolina drops two rankings to 36 out of 50 states and DC. This is the lowest ranking for North Carolina since May 3rd.
- Five southeastern states now outrank North Carolina. These are: Virginia (66.9%), Kentucky (65.4%), Tennessee (61.5%), Alabama (59.8%), and Florida (59.2%). North Carolina’s self-response rate currently stands at 58.3% of households.
- At least three in five households have responded in 29 NC counties. Many of these counties are located in the Triangle, Charlotte and Triad metros, though some are more rural, such as Pasquotank County and Person County.
- Census tracts containing the fewest young children maintain largest gap with the state average. A gap of 2.1 percentage points has maintained between the state response and the average for tracts with the fewest young children for several months. This tract category has the highest average share of college students, compared to all other categories in this target group, which likely contributes to its lower average response rate.
- Largest disparity remains between the state and tracts with fewest foreign-born residents. As response rates slow through the summer months, disparities between the state and target groups have remained static. For this target group, tracts with the fewest foreign-born residents were 3.8 percentage points below the state: 54.5% of households vs. 58.3% of households statewide.
- All tracts under 50% minority have response rates above the state average. Average response rates ranged from 59% to 63.3% for tracts with all but the largest share of non-white residents (under 50% minority). These three categories all responded at rates above the state average.
- Tracts with highest rates of internet access have the highest rate of response of any target group. As of July 19th, 66.8% of households responded to the Census in tracts where internet access is highest. This is 8.5 percentage points above the state average.
Last updated: 7.21.20